WaveCallTM by Marlink uses a 1 meter Ku-Band VSAT SeaTel 4006 antenna, an iDirect modem and a VoIP telephone adapter to provide Internet and VoIP phone services at downlink data rates of up to 1024 kbps and uplink data rates of 256 kpbs. The antenna, modem and Voip adapter are provided as part of the WaveCallTM package.
WaveCallTM is a shared service, that is always on, and is billed at a fixed monthly price for unlimited data transfer. The sharing of bandwidth allows reduced communications costs.
It is possible to use data and phone services simultaneously. WaveCallTM provides a broadband connection from the vessel to the public Internet and to the Public Telephone Network (PSTN)
The below deck equipment provides an ethernet port that can be connected to the ship's network, a WiFi router, or directly to a standalone PC. The RJ11 phone jack can be connected to the ship's PABX or directly to a telephone.
Business or Leisure
Using a shared access system makes WaveCall™ suitable for a variety of maritime applications including commercial shipping, fishing and leisure yachts. A variety of requirements can be met with the WaveCall™ range of applications, including file and image transfer, email, Virtual Private Networks, and database backup.
WaveCall™ is based on the industry-leading iDirect technology solution. The system has been developed to satisfy the needs of regional and multi-regional vessels which have lower bandwidth requirements.
Always on – Fixed price
WaveCall™ provides highly reliable access to the Internet and corporate networks. Using pooled bandwidth, WaveCall™ allows users to benefit from reduced communications costs, with data provided for a fixed monthly price and unlimited usage. The service charge includes all incoming and outgoing communication costs between the vessel and the Marlink teleport, yielding predictable communications expenses for the customer.
WaveCall™ provides regional and multi regional coverage on a global scale with seamless Ku-band coverage in the majority of key shipping routes, including the North Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, and the Indian Ocean regions.
The unlimited data transfer allowance within the fixed monthly cost enables fast download of large data files and email with data rates of up to 1024 Kbps for shore-to-vessel communications and up to 256 Kbps for vessel-to-shore communications.
High speed connectivity allows access to data applications at speeds of up to 1 Mbps. Internet access is always-on, enabling the vessel to stay connected with the world at all times. Customs and harbour applications can be completed online and submitted via email, substantially speeding-up the process, reducing administration and increasing productivity. With the ability for the vessel to be connected to the shore HQ continually, business never stops.
WaveCall™ telephone lines offer high Quality of Service (QoS) voice calls through an internal PSTN infrastructure. With phone lines and computers capable of simultaneous use, calling a vessel from shore is as simple as calling a terrestrial fixed line.
How WaveCall™ Works
WaveCall™ provides a broadband connection via satellite from the vessel to the public Internet and Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). The system performs in the same way as any standard terrestrial voice and data network.
GNMS iDirect architecture, the latest platform from iDirect, is deployed throughout Marlink’s network, providing a dynamic bandwidth allocation with multiple frequencies. Use of the iDirect Real Time Traffic Management system enables the high quality transmission of voice applications that are less tolerant to delay or jitter. WaveCall™ with iDirect provides its users with IP-based technology which maximizes utilization of bandwidth. System, network and traffic classification are prioritized with unlimited service levels and bandwidth management.
24/7 Global Customer Support
With offices at strategic locations around the world, Marlink provides an exceptional level of customer support, service and installation, offering local advice and an in-depth knowledge of cultural and logistical requirements in all global regions. Wherever the vessel is located, the Marlink team is on hand 24/7, maintaining your satellite communications.
Summary of Key Features:
- Data rates of up to 1024 Kbps for shore-to-vessel communications
- Data rates of up to 256 Kbps for vessel-to-shore communications
- Easy stand-alone or network compatible installation
- Regional, multi-regional and global Ku-band coverage
- Pooled bandwidth for reduced communication costs
- 24/7 worldwide customer support
Summary of Key Benefits:
- Fixed monthly pricing for unlimited usage
- Pooled bandwidth allows users to benefit from reduced communications costs
- High speed connectivity - access data applications at speeds of up to 1 Mbps
- Crew members stay connected keeping family and friends a phone call or email away
- Vessel is always connected to the main office meaning business never stops
- Customs and harbour applications can be completed online and submitted via email
- IP access to the Internet and corporate networks enables fast download of large data files and emails
- Unlimited data transfer allowance
- High Quality of Service (QoS) for voice calls through an internal PSTN infrastructure
- Easy, stand-alone or network compatible installation
- Regional, multi-regional and global coverage
- 24/7 global customer support